Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day 217 - 21+ nights at Carnegie Science Center-Sci-Fi Night


(Don't miss another  Carnegie Science Center 21+ night  (Beer 21+) on Friday, July 28th, where you can sample beer from 16 local breweries, see demonstrations, hear live music and as explore the science center)

I have not been to the Carnegie Science Center since my son’s elementary school years. Back then it was an exhausting rush from one thing to another as you moved along with the short attention span of your child.  I recently learned about the Carnegie Science Center’s  monthly  21+ nights. I was excited to explore the  exhibits  kid free, with a libation and food in hand, and listening to live music. Since I am a fan of science fiction movies, a bonus  was  this month’s  Sci-Fi theme with  visits from an array of characters: Ghostbusters,  Back to the Future  professor and  time machine DeLorean replica, Stormtroopers, Jedi Knights, Darth Vader and more.



Reflection
“Experiencing life like a child, with full absorption and concentration” is the behavior of a person who has reached their personal best or who is self-actualized in  Maslow's psychological theory. I must be getting there along with  a lot of the others who were at the science center that night because everyone seemed to be enjoying the science just the way the kids do.  The interactive exhibits were being actively explored. Many grown-ups (including me) were also playing along with, and taking silly pictures with, the Sci-Fi roaming cast of characters. 
I even learned the science behind making my own “Ghostbuster Slime”!

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the exhibits (O2HO!) 
There was so much to do.  “Roboworld” is a floor dedicated to robotics. It  has robot models displayed in a film time line, some robots to play with, and a giant robotic arm shooting basket balls to watch. Another  floor, “O2OH!” focused on water and explored the importance of water and the things living in it.  Since I have a health background, I seemed to spend most of my time on the new "Bodyworks" exhibits, interacting with the stations on bones, x-rays, and the mechanics of the body and mind. I also visited the miniature railroad  and enjoyed the Buhl Planetarium show which was in line with the nights Sci-Fi theme, “War of the Worlds Martians, Mystery and Mass Hysteria!”
Made Slime

My favorite  was  the Bodyworks exhibits
The Science Center and staff  went all out to facilitated the fun. I especially enjoyed the older gentleman that reminded me of a sarcastic absent minded professor who talked me into making the slime. Classic Science Fiction movies played in the Science Stage, a green screen provided various  photo-ops from Star Wars, and the Pittsburgh Penguin’s play-off  game  was on a large 4th floor screen so that hockey fans like me could explore the exhibits and  watch some game action. There was a bar on each floor and "GumBand" (a classic rock band)  played most of the night.
GumBand played most of the night
I loved having fun like a kid without the kid because I actually had the time to read the exhibits!

I would definitely explore the science center again during one of their monthly 21+ nights (6 pm to 10 pm). The next one is on June 16th -“Prom night”.  I better rally up some of  my high school friends (yes, I still see some of my friends from high school ), find  a prom date and some 80’s garb to wear!

miniature railroad of Pittsburgh from 1800's to 1930's 
Spiritual Reflection
Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:4)

Other Sources
Carnegie Science Center http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/ 
Maslow http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html