Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Day 199-Travel Around the World- Play at Epcot (Orlando)


As noted in Day 198-Winter Park, Florida, it's been 15 years since I visited the  theme parks in Orlando and back then my son was only 5 years old. At that time, it was an exhausting Disney World experience keeping my son entertained in the long lines, finding food that he would eat, and avoiding an over tired child meltdown. Even with all that,  I was still joyous when experiencing my son’s Disney excitement.  This empty nest experience was new. I was playing as an adult and I chose  Epcot so that  I could travel around the world in a day.
Disney  1999,  loved  my son's joy 


Italy, my roots & one of the Epcot World Showcases

Reflection
You can’t help but “play hard” as recommended by blog inspiration book, “Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book, in Epcot. Without kids we covered  8.5 miles (I know this because I tracked my steps on my Fit Bit)! We were able ride 8 attractions, saw all the “big ticket” attraction rides (except Frozen  which is impossible without an hour wait), and gallivanted  though  all 10 countries in the World Showcases. In the countries, we saw several shows: Mariachi performers  in Mexico, Moroccan/Mediterranean fusion music  in Morocco, and British rock music in the United Kingdom. We hit the  boat ride attraction  in Mexico and the must see American Adventure in America.  Whoosh, I was a planning machine and determined to see it all in one day.   

"Soarin" ride,  flying over countries, my feet in this picture
Here is my Cindy “Epcot one day tip”- don’t miss the ride “"Soarin," where you hang glide around the world, over mountains, snow, and the African tundra. I think this ride is worth the $110 admission (boy have prices inflated since 1999 and 2002). Make sure that you also see the  attraction, The American Adventure. The famous Disney robots (Audio- Animatronics)  make you believe that Mark Twain and  Ben Franklin are really on stage narrating  a film that  highlights  American perseverance through adversity. It made me want to stand up and clap for America.  
Restaurant Marraskesh, belly dancer 

We rested in Morocco with a terrific sit down dinner at the Restaurant Marrakesh.  During dinner we enjoyed traditional Moroccan music and belly dancing. Our day ended at a table near the World Showcase Lagoon where we enjoyed the 9 pm  spectacular firework and earth light show.  

"Soarin" ride,  hang -gliding across the world 

Fifteen years later, Epcot without my  5 year old son, was  a new adventure. It was still  exhausting but it was  filled with my personal excitement not just my vicarious joy  experienced through my son's happiness.  Both are good but both are very different. My friend  and I sure enjoyed playing hard by traveling around the world in Epcot. 

Enjoying our dinner  and the scene in Morocco :)

Spiritual Reflection
My child, don’t lose sight of good planning and insight. Hang on to them for they fill you with life and bring you honor and respect. They keep you safe on your way and keep your feet from stumbling (Proverbs 3:21-23)

Other Sources