Saturday, November 14, 2015

Day 147 Riviera Maya,Mexico /Hard Rock



I have not been out of the country in years and I have not been to Mexico since I was 16,  when I spent the summer in Mexico city. My blog inspiration, Little Golden Books reminds us to, “start planning your dream trip and soon you will be on your way.”  It sure was "dreamy"  at the Riviera Maya, Hard Rock all  inclusive resort, where we celebrated a wedding, swam through caves and with dolphins, strengthened relationships and made new friends.







Reflection
I got Montezuma's Revenge last time, so I was a little pensive about Mexico but an all inclusive resort is the way to go because the water is bottled and filtered.  The Hard Rock had great restaurants  and all the drinks you wanted even though that is not normally my thing, it was great to have a "fu fu" drink  next to the pool. It was like a cruise without the stops, a boat, or expensive drinks. There was nonstop food, entertainment, and the staff was so attentive and always friendly.

Ocean walk at Resort

What  I enjoyed most was just talking to workers and it humbled me to learn that what we paid to go there is equivalent to  a few years salary for them! There was no pressure to tip because  like a cruse,it  is included but you wanted to tip because they were so friendly and attentive.  Since you were not pulling out your wallet all the time,  you could just enjoy and relax on your trip.

Tropical Forest on the walk to swimming with the dolphins

I was amazed by the Riviera Maya because the resorts are carved out of a tropical forest. It was like the conservatory as in Day 101- Party in the Tropics,  but these amazing plants were all around you.  Flying into Mexico it looked like broccoli tops for miles and as the plane got closer to the ground you could see that it was thick foliage  so thick, that you could barely see the ground -a real tropical forest! The coastal beaches are white and soft and of course with crystal clear water.

Image result for riviera maya cenotes
Cenotes


This area is known for Mayan ruins and underground caves with turquoise rivers (cenotes) used in Mayan rituals. It was an adventure to swim though room after room with 1000+ years of  water dripping from the surface to form the stalagmites and stalactites.  I could have passed on seeing the bats at the top of the cave and no, my claustrophobia did not kick in because passages opened to huge rooms!



We also swam with dolphins. We were  actually in the water with them, petting them as they swam around us, kissed us,  and pushed us individually on a bogie board. Just amazing animals and experience!

Hard Rock Resort 

Even with our few days of rain, this place was a mini paradise for rest and relaxation.  I vote yes for all inclusive tropical resorts!

 Spiritual Reflection
And the Lord replied, "I will personally go with you, Moses. I will give you rest-everything will be fine for you'" (Exodus 34:14)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you because I am humble and gentle, you you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11: 28,29)

Other Sources
http://www.hrhrivieramaya.com/
http://www.visitmexico.com/en/mayan-riviera
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/yucatan-peninsula/travel-tips-and-articles/secret-swims-the-cenotes-of-mexicos-yucatan-peninsula