Sunday, January 14, 2018

Day 262- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra-The Firebird and More



The Pittsburgh Symphony 2018 session opened this weekend with Juanjo Mena conducting. I have ventured to the POPS in the past but I was now ready to experience the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (PSO) in the more "classical sense".  I love the ballet, The Firebird  (I even saw the movie), so I  was ready to enjoy the flight in Stravinsky's composition for his first ballet in 1910.  There also was a lot more to this program and I was excited to also experience my first flute concerto with Principle Flutist Lorna McGhee in this classical musical evening.


Reflection

On the night of the performance, Pittsburgh was in the midst of an ice storm so I was leery about venturing out, but I am so glad that I did because this  classical musical experience was more than relaxing, it was transforming. I came to hear The Firebird (Igor Stravinsky) but I fell in love with the opening composition,  Printemps (Claud Debussy), which was a PSO premiere of this work. The music was like a  wave with different volumes that rolled as it speed up and slowed down, yet it remained sweet and breezy. As I listened, I was transformed to a field, like in the top of the mountain scene from The Sound of Music. Ok, I don’t really know the “classical terms” but it was so beautiful (using horns and the harp) that it was the perfect sound to combat the gray skies and the impending sleet which was starting outside of the theater.


I have to admit the light and high pitched sound of a flute has never been my favorite sounding instrument until I heard what Lorna McGhee produced from it as she performed Concerto for Flute and Orchestra (Jacque Ibert).  She played the flute  fast then even faster at a feverish pace and then the flute was smooth and swayed. It was not only beautiful in conjunction with the strings of the orchestra but to me amazing! This part had the audience standing  and asking for more which she did in an encore.  

Then there was Juanjo Mena,  the  guest conductor (chief conductor of the BBC Philharmonic in Manchester, United Kingdom) who was mesmorizing to watch. He almost danced with the music and I wanted to join him in a waltz to some of it. I actually think I swayed in my seat a bit but I am a dancer at heart. At times I could see the animation in his face which made me excited for the next part of the music or to see what instruments that he would conduct next. [LA1] 


I enjoyed all this even before I even heard what I came to hear, The Firebird.  The Firebird  was striking as it starts off a little mysterious - then it bounces just like a bird which is the subject of the ballet. I watched a little girl, no more than 8 years of age, sitting directly in front of me as she mimicked the instruments in the music. I think she, like me, was transformed with it all and I will definitely keep PSO in my survival tool box.

(You can see the PSO 2018 Season [The Firebird from January 12 and 14, 2018] and more at pittsburghsymphony.org. ) 

Spiritual Source
Do not conform to the patter of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-this good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2)

Other Sources